We’ve been slowly renovating and redesigning our Vermont home since we purchased it almost 10 years ago. Initially, we prioritized critical things like replacing drafty single pane windows, insulation, and a coat of fresh paint. But more recently we made the plunge, renovated the kitchen, and added a small addition for the first floor bathroom and a combined office/guest space.
Because it’s a fully functioning office space, we didn’t want a permanent bed setup. Instead, we chose to build day beds that serve a dual purpose. They are ideal spaces for reading and lounging and then easily convert into sleeping space for two guests.
Why we love them:
- The room is both bright and cozy with two sets of windows for the built-ins to nestle into making them an ideal space for an afternoon nap! :-)
- We used extra long twin mattresses which means that the length works even for adults.
- Storage drawers underneath each bed keep guest pillows, sheets and duvets tidy and close to hand.
- Sconces with convenient dimmable bedside switches make for easy reading and night-time navigation.
What we might do differently next time:
- We love so much about this space there isn’t too much we’d change! But….
- We did originally plan on a bookcase abuting one of the headboards, Unfortunately the space ended up being narrower than originally planned and a bookcase didn’t really make sense. So now it ends up being the throw pillow storage zone when the guest beds are in use. It’s useful....but not exactly planful.
- We covered the mattresses with custom slipcovers. Initially, we designed the covers based on the dimensions provided by the mattress vendor. But unfortunately the covers were too large. Lesson learned! Next time we’ll wait until we actually have the mattress in hand before ordering custom slipcovers.
This design is unfortunately discontinued but I did see that there are vendors on Ebay still carrying the style.
Sconces: Arteriors Thomas Sconce on Houzz
Rug: By Serena and Lily
Green velvet are vintage from Crate and Barrel
Large khaki with crewel and small off-white/gold both from McGee and Co.
All others custom.
Mattress Slipcovers: Custom by Hearth and Home on Etsy
XL Twin Memory Foam Mattresses: Lucid Comfort on Overstock